Pages

Avoidant Personality

Avoidant Personality

Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Being the spouse of an avoidant



My poor wife has been married to me for 8 years now. I say my poor wife because I am an Avoidant. My wife is normal. If there is such a thing as normal. Being an avoidant is a mental disability. It is just a debilitating as any physical disability. In my opinion, its even worse because it cannot be seen or felt or detected by normal means.

People that have Avoidant Personality can pretend quite well to blend into society or at least avoid it. And to make things even worse, our society has in a way become a society of Avoidants. No longer do we need personal constant with each other. Now we all use Email, video calls, skype, cell phones, texting, the internet etc..

So we never even need to even see each other anymore.

Living with an Avoidant is the worst. My wife has tried for 8 years to figure me out. Good luck to her is all I have to say. I dont say that flippantly or even rudely. Unfortunately, its just a fact that I am a tough nut to crack. I have trouble figuring myself out. How can she possibly succeed in this?

We have struggled for 8 years to work it out. Now, we are in no way giving up, but its a huge struggle. A normal marriage is hard enough to make successful. Being married to an Avoidant is beyond tough.

My wife has to walk on egg shells all the time around me. My ego is so fragile that the least pressure will fracture it.

In a normal relationship, the 2 partners fight. But the 2 fight and work things out. This is normal and healthy.

In an Avoidant relationship, the normal partner becomes angry with the Avoidant partner. The norm one raises their voice, becomes angry and states their problem with the Avoidant. Instead of the other person responding, the Avoidant cowers in the corner or their mind and heart. They withdraw and become as a terrified little child.

They completely shut down and retreat. This norm person has not a clue how to respond, but often takes this is a sign that they are right or not being heard and presses even harder. The harder the norm partner presses, the more the Avoidant retreats.

When the Avoidant is in this state of being retreated inside, they cannot do anything to make things better. They are frozen and so far inside, that nothing can penetrate the hard shell.

This is the way things are with my wife and I. She desperately wants to know why I cannot respond and why I cant just trust her with my feelings. It stinks for her.

We had an incident this last weekend. We attended Church, as we often do. But this time, the sanctuary had been rearranged. Kudos to the pastor for doing this as I thought the new arrangement was very good. At least for normal people it is good.

The seats were arranged in a circle around the stage, which was in the center. I have never seen an arrangement like this. I was very impressed. But like I said, impressed for normal people

Having the seats in arranged like this meant that everyone was very close to the front. So it was not possible to hide in the back like we normally do. My wife wanted to sit up front. I accommodated her because I didnt want to make a scene and try to explain myself. Its very very embarrassing to try to explain a disability that is totally illogical and makes no sence at all. The only reason I can talk about it here is that it seems safe to write it all down.

So we sat up front. We were so close that I could clearly see the pastor and he could see me!!!!!

In the configuration we were in, there were a row of people that were facing me. It was as if those people were looking right at me. It was everything I could do to not look them in the eye. I tried looking everywhere I could to avoid looking at any of them.

It was the worst experience I have had in a long long time. All my senses were on High Alert!!!

My mind was scanning the entire crowd the whole time looking for threats. Any potential threat had to be avoided at all costs. Threats were the Pastor, the Pastors kid, the people that were seated facing me, the camera that was facing the pastor but because of the configuration of the seating, was pointing right at me.

Even my poor wife was a threat because she might be able to tell that something was wrong and might ask what was wrong. I would not be able to respond to her in any nice way or at all since I was in this state of High Alert. I might be forced to flea and any moment.

Even writing this all down brings be back to a state of fear and alertness of danger.

All this to say that my hats off to anyone that has to deal with a relationship with an Avoidant!!!!

God bless you for putting up with us.







This is my log of my day to day issues with living to Avoidant Personality Disorder. My hope is that in writing this, it will help myself and perhaps others that are also struggling with this disorder or another like it.http://www.AvoidantPersonality.com

16 comments:

  1. At least you got the courage to married! I wonder how come an avoidant get so far and get married!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it has been a while since you left this reply. But I am going back through my blog and re-reading it. I am a Pastor now and have received a level of healing from this disorder. I am going to be running a group for Avoidants and others with similar afflictions. If you are interested, the group starts tomorrow at 7:00 pm MT. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/needsmet/2013/10/10/keeping-it-real

      Delete
    2. On a good day and avoidant, such as my self, want desperately to have a real intimate relationship, and if it is a truly good day, we may just get up the nerve to marry a beautiful person who is willing, but unknowingly, marries an avoidant such as myself. This is wha I want, but APD is my struggle and has been the 11 years my wife and I have been married. However, I am just now researching it, realizing it, and combating it after 30 plus years of not knowing I have it. At least my wife and I know now what the real issue and plague is.

      Delete
    3. Hello Taylor how did you find the courage to marry your wife.? How did she capture your heart ?

      Delete
  2. My wife does all you do and more. But unlike you, she is not able to be honest about it. She has sought counselling, but has read so much psychology that counselling sessions are not honest either, as she is very adept at misleading the counsellor - perhaps also part of being so desperate to avoid the core issues.

    Honesty is the first step to healing, and I really admire your courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it has been a while since you left this reply. But I am going back through my blog and re-reading it. I am a Pastor now and have received a level of healing from this disorder. I am going to be running a group for Avoidants and others with similar afflictions. If you are interested, the group starts tomorrow at 7:00 pm MT. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/needsmet/2013/10/10/keeping-it-real

      Delete
  3. I do not want to over-share, for fear of hurting my APD spouse, but thank you, thank you, thank you! I believe you may have given me a tool to keep me from leaving my husband. God bless you for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this thread is a bit old by now, but i wanted to say thank you. My boyfriend of 8 years (he's too scared to commit) is pretty much the same in arguments, and it's so easy to forget that it's normal to have arguments and get angry, i can't help feeling like i'm abusing him or something even though it rarely happens and i make sure to comfort him after.
    Mind if i ask whay made you feel safe enough to marry? I kinda need the reassurance from him by now and despite being "engaged" (after this long and all his insecurities i don't feel like it counts any more) for a long time by now i just can't get it from him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently just got out from 2.5 years relationship with a partner who has the same problem. I now understand the problem, however he broke it off with me 2 months ago. He said I deserve better and that he won't ever change. Should I still bother? Should I move on? The question is, how does an dismissive avoidant deal with breakups?

    He texted me and said that he's been unhappy, we can't stay together, and that it's time to move on. He then called me and was very defensive, anything that I say he will say that it's not going to work, he's sick and tired of us fighting about the same thing. Mind you, I didn't know attachment styles at that time. At the end, he just asked me not to push anymore and to broaden my social cycle and find other guys to be with.

    We are both living in two different countries, I went to his country for 1.5 years (we're together after knowing each other for 6 months) and he came to my country and lived here for 1 year, and a long distance relationship for almost 8 months (we are supposed to visit each other every 3-4 months and I visited him in September last year. He said he will visit me in December or end of January, but when the time gets nearer, he hasn't bought his ticket saying that he's too busy at work, tired, don't have time and all other excuses. In my mind, if you really care, you will make time.

    He also prioritise his family and friends more than me. He will let me wait for hours before calling me on skype. He will get angry over menial things and shut down for a couple of hours to a couple of days. He won't calm me down when I cry or hug me even after I asked him to, it seems that he doesn't want to give me the one thing that I need from him.

    I always ask him and tell me that I want to know everything about him, what he thinks and feels but he's unable to explain both, normally not more than a word. e.g. what do you think of today? He will answer, "Good." and I will ask him to be more specific but to me, it's tiring to do this all the time. Why can't we just have normal conversation. I love him and I want him to trust me, not push me away.

    Sometimes he think that
    1. His thoughts are ugly and he's afraid that I will judge him (but to me, knowing is better than not knowing, it drives me crazy and made me feel like he just doesn't care)
    2. He doesn't know how to express himself
    3. He thinks that I should know without him saying anything (unfortunately, I am not a mind reader)

    He said that I nag him and question him all the time. He feels like I am controlling but when I asked him about the plane ticket, I really was just asking because he's the one who said that he will come here end of January. All I needed to hear was, I am sorry I haven't bought the ticket because I was busy and tired, the ticket for January is really expensive but I should be able to come in February. Is that okay? I would be really happy to hear that. But the way he dealt with this small thing made me feel like I can't trust him with my future because I feel that he doesn't have a sense of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if my reply went thorough or not. If you dont see the reply, please let me know

      Delete
    2. Actually I dont see y reply, so here I go again. What he is doing is trying to protect you. I know it sounds weird and it is, but in his mind, he is protecting you. He feels that he is worthless and would only hurt you. So he is doing a loving thing, in his mind, but pushing you away. What you describe is exactly how I used to treat my wife. We would fight, she would go away crying, but I would not comfort her or reach out to her in any way. I could not. See, to someone that has Avpd, they are so hurt and so damaged, that they have to protect themselves, even if that means hurting others or allowing them to be in pain. Does that make sence?

      What he is doing to putting you to the test. He probably does not know that this is what he is doing, but he is. The test is if you will stick with him, or run away. To a person that has Avpd, he has to know that he can trust you to stick things out when the going gets tough. If you are not willing to stay with him, then both of you are better off apart.

      If you love him and want to see this through, then its going to require a commitment and a special kind of love. Love is patient. Those with Avpd require lots of patience and understanding. He needs to know that he can trust you to stay and love him no matter what. Your comment indicted that he has family and friends. So not sure here if he has Avpd, or something else. Though all these disorders tend to blur together.

      If you wish to continue, I would suggest emailing me as that will give me more room to write more than here. I am also working on classes on Avpd and similar as well as for those that are trying to be in relationships with those that have it. My email is Phillip@needsmet.us

      Delete
  6. Article:

    Why We Fall for Unavailable Partners (and How to Stop)

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-lies-trauma/201506/why-we-fall-unavailable-partners-and-how-stop

    Message from sender:

    Hello
    I would like more information on how to love a Man who is a love avoidant . When I gave him the no contact at all . Two months later he called me. He said he missed me and didn't want to lose me that he loved me and that I was the one for him. and asked me to take him back. And I did because I still love him. A weak and a half later, when I thought we were moving forward he starting saying things like I wish you weren't so Christian and your not as adventurous as I thought you were. That we needed to be on the same page! I kindly said good and told him I loved him and so did he. I waited two days without contacting him giving space also because I was confused by his sudden negativity! He texted me . Is your phone working? I answered yes He responded okay!!!! And that was that . I didn't hear from for a few days. So I texted him saying I was giving myself a little space as I didn't want to continue getting close to someone who was confused as to what they wanted. I reassured him that I loved him and wanted to make it work. It's been a month and a half and he hasn't contacted me . Any advice.
    Warmly'
    Confused

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last December, I broke up with my girlfriend who also has Avoidant Personality Disorder. Even saying that out loud was off limits for her. It upset her to acknowledge it or work on it with me. I once said to her, "I have to live in a bubble with you." She felt that it was something that "just was" and I felt it was something that we could work on in couple's therapy. She ignored all my requests to work on our communication in therapy. I read that "some of the turmoil that their relationships undergo is centered around their inability to respond supportive-ly to request signals from their partner; the disappointment and frustration of the partner then feeds back into the further withdrawal by the person and the relationship cracks under the strain." This described us pretty well. She retreated to the point of wanting to take a break from our relationship right during a very crucial time for me when my children were coming home for a Christmas visit (I hadn't seen my kids in a year). I was extremely hurt and frustrated that she withdrew, to this extent, during such an important time in my life because I had bent over backwards to accommodate all her family events etc. and I wanted the same support, love and affection as well. The more upset I became, the more she withdrew to the point of threatening to arrest me rather than discuss how I was feeling. After the break-up, I tried my best to have closure with her, to state that I truly understood but that I needed more but I was met with only the silent treatment, something she has used for many years to avoid closure and healing with others. I realize now that all my "pushing" for closure and healing and understanding just made it worse and worse because she simply doesn't feel anywhere near ready to even acknowledge that this disorder is very hard on her partners...I loved her very, very much but her disorder made my "normal" need for communication and the communication of things that weren't going well - seem like an evil thing instead of part of everyday life. She goes through life seeing herself as the victim and completely doesn't see how her disorder hurts. She use to ask me to just "have faith" in her. I had faith that she loved me, but faith didn't make it feel good. I felt like I was being pulled in and pushed away every other week. I felt like I was walking on eggshells in terms of being able to express any difference of opinion - I even felt that I had to say that I liked everything she liked just to not have her retreat from me. It was no way to live. I did believe that if she was willing to do therapy with me, we could have survived, but it would only be survival and my heart just completely aches for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pastor,
    How do I get my dismissive avoidant boyfriend to accept that he has an attachment issue. I’ve tried writing to him several times explaining nicely but he simply just dismiss it and withdraw further. I do not want to give up. Please advice me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Pastor,
    How do I get my dismissive avoidant boyfriend to accept that he has an attachment issue. I’ve tried several times communicating to him nicely but he simply dismiss it and withdraw further. I know most dismissive avoidant relationship fails but I really do not want to give up on mine. Please advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      When you say he has an attachment issue, can you tell me more about this? Does this mean he is afraid to commit to being in a relationship?

      If this is the case, this is normal behavior for someone that has Avpd or similar. The reason for this is fear. Fear of rejection. If he commits to a relationship and at some point you see the real him, you might reject him. Rejection to someone that has Avpd is like a bullet. Any physical pain is preferable to being rejected.

      The best and only way really to overcome that fear he has is to be there. The more he knows you and gets comfortable with you, the more at ease he will become. Eventually he will learn to trust you, but you have to be patient. I know that is hard when the heart is involved. But it is the only way.

      Delete